Welcome to the Frugal SOS Forums.
Please take a moment to read through these Guidelines. It should help you understand our code of conduct.
How do I use this forum’s features?
This might be forum software that you haven’t used before. Please see our forum help guide:
The functions you can access here are based on your “trust level”. You can read more about trust levels here.
THE RULES AT A GLANCE
- Don’t spam. We have a zero tolerance policy.
- No religion or politics. These are not to be discussed ever – they start too many fights.
- No personal insults.
The Rules in Detail
One Account Only
We only allow one account per person. If you lose access to your account, try resetting your password on the login page, or contact me for help. If you’ve been removed from the forum, I’m not unreasonable. Just email me and we will try to work things out. It’s unfair to community members if you rejoin and take on a new persona.
Please don’t use a domain name as a username or it will be changed. Use family-friendly usernames.
Improve the Discussion
Help us make this a high-quality discussion community by always working to improve the discussion in some way.
• Be respectful of the topics and the people discussing them, even if you disagree with some of what is being said. Just move on. Don’t let someone bait you.
• One way to improve the overall discussion is by discovering ones that are already happening. Please spend some time browsing the post topics that already exist before replying or starting a new one that’s the same. But please don’t worry if you’ve repeated an older topic. We will do our best to either link or merge them. Don’t feel as if you’ve done something wrong if this happens. While some sites discourage bumping old posts up, it’s OK to bump an old post here if you’re adding to the discussion. We would link your new post to the old post anyway.
In order to try to maintain a certain level of quality in discussions, we ask that you strive to ensure the following:
• Don’t simply link to something online without adding something to the conversation. A link post must be accompanied by a personal comment or opinion about the link or don’t post it. A link out must bring something to the table or it’s not permitted. Please understand this is a discussion forum and not a link directory.
• Please do not reply to a post with an emoji or a response such as good job. There’s a like button, use that instead.
Spammers are handled one way, they are banned. In some cases, we will reconsider that decision. But effort must be made to “plead your case”. Maybe you didn’t think it was spam. Or maybe you saw a similar post and didn’t realize they had permission or paid for an advertisement, so you thought it was OK. Whatever the case, you’ll need to reach out in order for us to reverse our decision.
What Can’t I Post?
- We do not permit topics that divide the community. There are plenty of other communities for controversial and debate topics. While some topics can likely become unintentionally controversial or a simple post can be derailed and become heated, please think through what you post prior to posting it. Sometimes a simple reminder of asking yourself if what you say adds or takes away from a discussion can be helpful in deciding.
- We are a family-friendly community, so inappropriate posts will be deleted.
- Nothing illegal.
Other things we ask you not to do
Don’t copy and paste whole articles
- Don’t post entire content from other sites. If you want to discuss an article you read somewhere, post a link. Make sure to provide enough input of your own as per our link out policy.
- We are also not here for your self-promotion, so please refrain from posting your content that you’ve posted elsewhere.
Don’t ask for votes on social sites, such as Digg, Reddit, StumbleUpon, or Facebook.
Affiliate links, coupons, and offers
Affiliate links, coupons, and offers are not welcome.
• Post coupon codes, discounts, offers
• Ask for coupons, codes, discounts, invitations to services, etc.
• Post affiliate links.
Advertising or Soliciting Services
Advertising and soliciting services is also in violation of our self-promotion policy. These forums are for discussion on frugal-related topics.
- Make the effort to put things in the category.
- Don’t cross-post the same thing in multiple categories.
- Don’t divert a topic by changing it midstream. Rather than taking an existing topic in a radically different direction, use Reply as a New Topic.
Search before you post
Please search carefully before asking a question to see if it already exists. We also have a question and answer section knowledge base located here: http://frugalsos.com/questions See if your question has been answered there or if you’re unsure what to do, post it to the question and answer knowledge base.
Forums attract beginners, and that means beginner questions. Please be helpful! They won’t be beginners forever. Point them in the right direction.
Be polite. If someone rubs you the wrong way, avoid them. It IS as easy as not reading their posts.
Every community needs its members – not just to keep things interesting, but to ensure survival. Please spread the word about us. This forum provides tools that enable each of us to collectively identify the best (and worst) contributions: favorites, bookmarks, likes, flags, replies, edits, etc. Use these tools to improve everyone’s overall experience. There are a number of sharing options available by clicking the link icon below a post, too.
If You See a Problem, Tell Us
- You can do that by alerting us of anything you see that seems wrong. It might be a post that’s rude, it might be spam or maybe it’s just in the wrong forum.
- When you see something wrong, don’t reply. Just flag it. If enough flags accrue, action will be taken, either automatically or by moderator intervention.
In order to maintain our community, moderators reserve the right to remove any content and any user account for any reason at any time. We don’t preview new posts and take no responsibility for any content posted by the community.
Private Message Etiquette
• The same rules apply to Private Messaging as to posting. No spamming, insulting, self-promotion allowed.
• Don’t use the PM system to ask for help if your problem is being discussed in a thread. This will prevent others from using the knowledge to solve the same problem at a later date.
Changing your username
Contact me to change your username.
Closing or deleting your account
If you don’t wish to participate in the forum anymore:
- Turn off all the e-mail notification options in your profile
- Stop posting
We do not delete accounts. We can change your username. Contact me.
Frugal SOS Rights
Frugal SOS and its assigned agents reserve the right to remove a post that does not relate to the topic being discussed in the forum. In addition, Frugal SOS reserves the right to organize or relocate discussion posts and categories in order to best serve the majority of our members.
Frugal SOS or its assigned agents also reserves the right to prohibit or delete discussions that are thought to violate applicable law or that may be harmful to other members or the rights of Frugal SOS. That said, Frugal SOS does not have the practical ability to restrict conduct or communications that might violate these Guidelines or the Terms of Service prior to transmission, nor can we guarantee prompt removal of all offending discussion forum posts.
We also reserve the right to remove your membership from the Frugal SOS Forums should you violate the Community Guidelines.
Powered by You
This site is operated by Sara Noel and you, the community. If you have any further questions about how things should work here, open a new topic in the site feedback category and let’s discuss! If there’s a critical or urgent issue that can’t be handled by a meta topic or flag, contact us via the staff page.
Terms of Service
Yes, legalese is boring, but we must protect ourselves – and by extension, you and your data – against unfriendly folks. We have a Terms of Service describing your (and our) behavior and rights related to content, privacy, and laws. To use this service, you must agree to abide by our Terms of Service.